Tuesday, June 11, 2013

June 11, 2013

Less than 150 km to Santiago. I can't believe how far I've come. For me, the remaining kilometers will take 10 days of walking, plus rest days, so I'm still two weeks out. For almost everyone else, they're about a week away. The conversations have turned from "Where and when did you start?" to "When do you plan to arrive in Santiago?" You can feel the excitement building. It's palpable.

I'm finding it difficult to keep my excitement in check. I don't want to spend two weeks of this experience thinking only of the destination. I want to continue to experience the Camino fully, giving it the focus and the appreciation it deserves, just as it has from my first step in St. Jean. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Funny though, I've realized that, to me, it is also about the destination. Arriving in Santiago is important to me. Collecting my Compostella and attending the Pilgrims' Mass is important to me. Finishing what I started is important to me. Although I know that the end of the Camino is only the beginning.

I've begun thinking about what's next for me. I have to be honest. I have no more idea what the answer is to that question than I did when I left Colorado. It's difficult to trust that all will be revealed in the perfect time. In a way, I feel like I should be more proactive in deciding what I want and bringing it into my life. But I have no clue.

The other day, following a rest day, I left my hotel after laying awake all night wondering where I would live when I get back. I came around the corner to find a huge sign hanging in the window of a bank.

Confianza.

Trust.

I promised to follow the signs to the best of my ability. And so, I will trust.


No comments:

Post a Comment