Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Day 1

Today I walked my first official two miles. I could have done more but, well, two reasons. I didn't want to burn out on the first day by overdoing it and um, yeah, I, uh, had to pee. That's right, I got a mile down the trail, which also means a mile away from my car and I suddenly realized I reeeeallly had to go. Definitely need to plan better for that issue.

I learned that Loveland has a bunch of walking paths and trails. I'm happy about that because if I had to walk around my neighborhood over and over again, I'd get bored. Along the trail I chose today, I saw three butterflies, a dragonfly and a spider. Oh and a sign telling me to welcome the little bears if I saw them along the way. Really?! I don't know if there is a bear "little" enough for me to want to welcome it, but OK. The good news is I didn't have to. At least for today.

I found the walk to be full of symbolism. The butterfly is a symbol of metamorphosis. An emergence from the cocoon of my limitations into the freedom of who I really am. The fact that there were three was even more significant to me since it's the number of past, present and future.The dragonfly signifies the stripping away of those beliefs that say, "I can't do this." And the spider teaches me to break out of my stuck energies and weave my own personal web. In other words to be the creator of my own life. I don't think any additional explanations are necessary, right?

I still need to buy a pedometer and better shoes. Honestly, I wonder how many strange looks I would get if I just walked the Camino in my most comfortable shoes, or should I say, in my Ariat boots. Hmmm, are you listening Ariat? How about a sponsorship?

Today was a success.

"I believe in you. Your friends believe in you. Now it's time for YOU to believe in you." ~Shawn Sellers

"Visualize your dream (Yes)
Record it in the present tense (Don't be scared)
Put it into a permanent form
If you persist in your efforts
You can achieve dream control"
~Queensryche, 'Silent Lucidity'

1 comment:

  1. How great that on your first day of hiking you found out that Loveland had so many hiking trails you never knew about. We learn something everyday! Symbols and inspiration are everywhere when we "stop to smell the roses." To your Journey!!!

    ReplyDelete