Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 10

I'm back after a few days off to focus on my job. It felt good to get back to walking. It offers me the time I need each day to think about things. Where I've been. Where I'm going. And most importantly, where I am. Today's lesson was about procrastination. The reason I didn't have time to walk and write over the past few days was because I had put off working on a project that was due this week. I waited until the very last minute, as I often - OK, as I always - do. My excuse is that I work better under pressure, but that's not really true. The truth is that I get stressed under pressure. So why put myself through that time and time again? Because you see, it's what I've always done. It's my comfort zone. It may not be what's in my best interest, it's just how I am used to doing it.

Whatever the reason may ultimately be for my decision to begin this year-long journey from my couch to the Camino, I know that a big part of it is to help me look at things from a new perspective. It is supporting me in a new way of being in this world. Procrastination does not serve me and, as a result, I need to let go of that familiar habit. If I am truly going to walk for almost 500 miles in just under a year, I can't procrastinate. I need to focus on my health, my fitness and most importantly on myself right now. Not in a year, not in a day or two. NOW! Procrastination is no longer an option. I am doing this thing. Right now.

Today I noticed an ant carrying a load much larger and heavier than his little body. It reminded me that anything is possible. I bet no one ever told him he couldn't carry something that heavy and so, he can.

"They tell me I shouldn't know how to do this. I tell them I didn't know that. Sometimes your ignorance leads to your success." ~Pearl Fryar, 'A Man Named Pearl'

A Man Named Pearl Movie Trailer

2 comments:

  1. I admire you! I look forward to reading your posts! Best wishes to ypu Callea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Callea - Glad to hear to are focusing on what is on the inside. That is the real journey!!! Love hearing about little things you see on the trails. Nothing better than stopping to smell the roses!!! You are not alone when it comes to being a procrastinator - I and many people I know fight it all the time. But you separate yourself because you are doing something about it. Amazing!!!

    Hope you don't mind my comments here. See you tomorrow!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete