Sunday, May 12, 2013

May 12, 2013

I climbed the Alto de Perdón today, in English it means the Hill of Forgiveness. Let me tell you, Forgiveness is not an easy hill to climb. First of all, it's much easier to keep stopping to turn around and look back at where you've been, remembering and re-telling the story that got you to this point in the first place. And just when you think you've almost conquered the beast, you find yourself heading back down, in the wrong direction, with an even steeper hill to climb ahead.

This morning, I stopped and had breakfast with where I've been. The Pyrenees rose in the distance as I remembered the struggle and the pain, the laughter and the tears, the friends I left behind and the friends I hope to one day see again. As I finished breakfast, I knew that, although I hadn't yet conquered Forgiveness, I was close. And once I took those first few steps down the other side, there would be no looking back. No stopping to see the things that had come before. Forgiveness would be in the way.

With tears running down my face, I started packing up. Two local men came around the bend with their dog.

"Buenos Dias..."

"Buenos Dias, from where do you come?"

"From Colorado. From America."

"Oh! A long way then."

"Yes. A very long way."

No comments:

Post a Comment