Thursday, May 9, 2013

May 7, 2013

How bad do I want this? I am still very sick to my stomach. I can barely eat, so no fuel to energize my body, and I'm obviously allergic to something in the air, so I can't breathe properly either. Feeling this bad makes me want to just lay in bed, not walk kilometer after kilometer after kilometer.  I will say that I'm shocked and heartened by the number of people who care and go out of their way to look out for me and to ask about me along the way. Their kindness keeps me going.

At times today, I thought, "If every day is going to be this hard, I honestly don't know if I want to continue." But then I'd find another dose of willpower and onward I would go.  I found strength I didn't know I had. To be honest, I still haven't felt the pride of accomplishment because I'm still too sick and too tired. But I'm hoping I'll look back at these past few days at my greatest leaps forward. I didn't go anywhere fast, but I always moved onward, never going back and never giving up. ¡Ultreya!

Unfortunately, my slow pace leaves me little time for rest, but today I arrived mid-afternoon in Viskarret and slept for almost 6 hours. My host had to wake me up for dinner. I felt a little bad about that, but she was very kind and didn't seem to mind.  After dinner, I went back to bed and slept another 8 hours.

I'm looking forward to Pamplona in a couple of days, where I'll get a rest day and will hopefully meet up with some new friends I've met on the way.

My Spanish is coming in handy in many situations and I've met quite a few native speakers who help me practice. Shockingly, I haven't taken a vow of silence after all, and I even initiate conversations in Spanish. I guess if I can cross the Pyrenees on foot, I can speak a second language.

1 comment:

  1. The difficult times help to put everything else in perspective.
    Hope you feel better soon!! You'll be running up mountains when this over. :)

    ReplyDelete