Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May 5, 2013

AM:
This morning, I am both terrified and excited, all at once.  The day has arrived, and I am on "the way".

PM:
That was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  A gain of about 2500 feet in elevation in only 5 miles. That is steep! Just when I'd think it was about to level off, I'd turn a corner only to find another, even steeper, hill.  At one point I almost panicked as I wondered if I really had what it takes, and what would I do if I didn't. How would I get off the mountain? Then I remembered the day I had the breakdown in Spanish class. I asked Alex how I was ever supposed to make it over the Pyrenees. His answer, "One step at a time." It wasn't pretty.  I wasn't fast, but I made it to the alburgue. I wish I could say that tomorrow was going to be easier, but I have another 1800 feet to climb and a pretty brutal downhill after that. I guess I'll just take it one step at a time.

Through all of the hardship, I am remembering to be grateful for the amazing experiences I am having. This morning as I climbed through the Pyrenees, the sound of cowbells rising through the mist was something I'll never forget.  What a beautiful experience.

So far, my favorite part has been listening to some of the stories from the other pilgrims, so I'll share them now and then. I met a couple of nice Australian ladies, Maureen and Lea.  Maureen is carrying 15 stones for the prayers of 15 different people. The most important being her husband, an Australian cowboy, who was thrown from a horse and now has a severe brain injury. His prayer is for his brain to become "untangled". Sending extra energy to him and hoping for a Camino miracle, with tears in my eyes as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment