Sunday, May 12, 2013

May 10, 2013

For myFacebook friends, you've already read this. I just wanted to add it here, so it's preserved for posterity:

My Spanish is not good enough for me to be 100% sure, but I am 99% sure I just almost got arrested at the post office tonight. The cute little man took my credit card for payment for my package home, then scanned my passport as ID. The screen started flashing something about something being suspended. He looked at me, his eyes got big and he started talking very loudly, but not to me. Two other postal employees came over and I heard him say the words "passport is suspended" and "call the police". One of the other two said, "No, no, no..." Then showed him something on the screen and re-started the transaction, all the while holding back laughter. It turns out that the credit card authorization service was temporarily suspended. The good news: I didn't get arrested. The bad news: I had to go find a cash machine and pay the almost $80 postage fee (!) in cash. I'm currently not sure whether to laugh or cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment