Sunday, May 19, 2013

May 17, 2013

Up and down, my mood seems to change as often as the elevation. For the first half of today, I was locked in a battle for personal comfort. I'm cold. I'm hot. It's raining. It's not raining. My shoes are too tight. My shoes are too loose. And now the damn shoe just came untied. Fixing each of these issues requires the removal of my backpack, which of course, means putting it back on again too. Just one of those days.

The hills are not getting any easier. My body does not seem to be adjusting to the walk. My backpack feels like it's been filled with stones. When does the fun begin again? On the positive side, I did figure out the backpack situation. I've lost so much weight that the straps around my hips weren't tight anymore, so the frame of the backpack was unable to do its job. Hopefully that adjustment will help. There are some serious hills ahead.

They say, if you let it, the Camino brings up many difficult issues. Not to make things more difficult, although that is certainly a symptom of it. But instead to heal these issues. I came into this with my eyes wide open, knowing my buttons would be pushed, just not necessarily expecting the degree to which it would happen. Walking alone, with no escape from it all, just heightens the experience. This is working every muscle I have - physically, mentally and spiritually. I keep wondering, why did the Camino choose me? What's to come from all this hard work?

No comments:

Post a Comment