Friday, May 3, 2013

May 3, 2013

It's my 2nd day in Madrid. Much better than yesterday, but then again, yesterday I was exhausted from traveling and no sleep. I also found a nicer part of the city today. It's still not Florence, though. Sorry, Madrid... I rode the Metro for the first time, of course singing the Berlin song the whole time. If you don't get that reference, google it. I also visited the Prado Museum. Amazing works of art!

Now I'm sitting at a patio cafe with a sandwich and a beer. The weather couldn't be more perfect. Mid-70's and a few fluffy white clouds floating through the sky. Please, please let it stay that way for the next few days.

I really hope my Spanish gets better. I'm having a hard time understanding what people are saying.  Somehow it's all been fine, though. I haven't gotten lost, I'm not going hungry - yet - and there's even a Pepsi waiting for me in the mini bar in my room. What more do I need?

It's ironic that, although my Spanish sucks, as I write this, I'm thinking it in Spanish and having to translate to English. How weird is that? In my head I'm fluent. But I suppose if I can imagine it, I can do it. One thing I've noticed, if I don't understand you the first time you say something, it doesn't help to just say the same thing louder. That just makes me nervous. And to all the people who asked me before I left why I was learning Spanish because "everyone in Spain speaks English", that is SO not true. Even here in the touristy part of Madrid.

Tomorrow morning, I leave for St. Jean Pied-du-Port. Vacation time is almost over. It's about to get real.

No comments:

Post a Comment